Business Analysis is currently the 2nd most in-demand skillset in the UK technology market. It seems that everyone wants one and they are always difficult to find. We have recruited Business Analysts for many years and hopefully we can give you some tips to help you hire them.
1) Know what you need – First step is to actually understand the shape of the hole you need filling. BAs come in all shapes and sizes and simply asking for a business analyst can give you a Systems Analyst, a Requirements Analyst, a technical Business Analyst, a BI BA, A BPR consultant or Data BA. Make sure your spec goes further than requirements gathering.
2) What personality do you need – Do you need someone that is hugely analytical, or do you need someone that will be able to get requirements from busy traders? Make sure your adverts make reference to the personality you need to hire, and your recruiters know about the personality traits you would like your candidates to have.
3) Is industry experience important? Really? - Many industries ask for BAs with specific industry experience. In our experience BA is a hugely transferable skill and some of our most successful hires have come when people have changed industry. Ask yourself; how long is it going to take to adapt to a new industry? How much can someone learn prior to interview?
4) Hire a professional recruiter that understands business analysis – test them on their knowledge first.
5) Discard poorly written or overly long-winded CVs - Strong written communication skills are normally essential and are very evident from the way a person has written their CV.
6) It’s a hands on role, so make sure you make part of the interview vocational - Give them a live task to do, for e.g. gather some requirements from a member of staff. That way the candidate learns about your business and it makes for a more interesting interview.
7) Speed is of the essence - You have been specific in terms of what you need, flexible on industry experience (for the right person), you have given them an interesting interview. If the candidate feels right, they can do the job and you like them, then make them an offer quickly.
Initi8 Recruitment is a specialist recruiter of BA’s, PM’s, developers and analytics staff to find out more get in touch email@example.com